Thursday, April 2, 2009

4 weeks, interviews and forced landing

So starting from today there are approximately four (4) weeks left of school before my second year in this program is over. There are still quite a number of assignments to do and it's going to be quite a nasty April for me and the other 50 some people in my class.
However, there are quite a few things to look forward to however. One is the Pratt & Whitney field trip that our class is having which are based in Missisauga, ON. They were actually quite hesitant about giving us this tour for our class but if you know my professor, you'll know that he is one of those people that it's just so hard to say no to. Did I mention that he is really really smart? Yep he is, I don't know exactly what he has his Doctorate Degree on but I'm sure it's quite a tough one.

So in our four-year degree program, it is required for us to take one of the 3 summers as a co-op work term for 14 consecutive weeks. A lot of people from previous years have gone to airlines and just worked ramp, some people have gone to the depths of Northwestern Canada and worked in small charter/cargo companies. I had two interviews so far out of the many applications I have sent...both jobs declined. One was for a charter company based in Yellowknife, NT. The other is my very own dispatcher position for the summer, which I was very surprised when I found out I didn't get it, because I thought it actually went well. However, none of that is about to phase me, I know that I just have to keep trying and in this industry, it's not uncommon to get turned down by a lot of companies.
If any readers (if there are any, I doubt it...) work for any company willing to "hook" me up with a job, or even an interview, it would be awesome. I have until the end of the semester to get a job or else...I don't even want to think about it...(maybe it won't be that bad)

What was bad and good though, depending on what way you look at it, is the recent engine failure in one of our Be-36 (or F33A) Bonanzas. It actually happened to two of my classmates while they were on a cross country flight, they were near Billy Bishop Airport near Owen Sound, and fortunately the weather was good enough that they were able to go to 9500' for their cruise. However high they were, or close to the airport they were, an engine failure is one of the serious emergencies without a doubt, and so I give them kudos for the great job they did. Here is the local news article about it. I have talked to them, congratulated them and asked them questions, however since it was the second engine failure in our Bonanza in 7 months (this was the first) I'm not really in any position or allowed to say anything to anyone because it's still under investigation. All I've said can be found by anyone who searches for it so it's nothing special, just letting it be known.

And with that, I shall get back to those assignments calling for my attention.

No comments: